Volunteer Regiment was with Burnside’s expedition to the North Carolina
barrier islands. The later went with him to Antietam and suffered heavy
casualties. Of the ten Wethersfield men in this unit, two were killed.
The regiment fought in the Richmond-Petersburg
campaign losing it’s brigade colonel, Hartford’s Gifford Stedman who is
buried in Wethersfield.
/ Date Enlisted / Unit / Date Out / Reason Out / Comment
- Clontier, Charles 3/28/64 Company A Deserted 4/29/64
Henry 11/25/61 Company K Killed Sharpsburg, MD 9/17/62
Henry 11/14/61 Company M Corp. 12/1/64, Reduced Sgt 1/1/65, wounded
6/18/64 – Petersburg, out ’65
- Price, William 3/2/64
- Rising, Henry 10/12/61 Company D Killed
Sharpsburg, MD 9/17/62
- Steele, Samuel 12/11/61 Company F?
Disc. Disab. 4/14/62
- Tyler, John 11/21/64 Company F
- Trasher, Allen 11/14/61 Company H M.O.
- Whaples, George H. 12/13/61 Company F Des. ?/3/64
- Wilson, Walter 2/11/64 Company I Musician died 6/6/64