The Founding of Wethersfield Illinois in 1836

by Larry Lock Kewanee Historical Society kewaneehistory.com

The
founding of Kewanee [Illinois] in 1854 at its present location is the
result of two separate developments: the establishment of the colony of
Wethersfield [Illinois] and the building of a railroad–and the failure
of those two to come together. 

kewanee map.jpg
(Please click on the map to see a larger image)

Wethersfield
[Illinois] was founded in 1836 by the Connecticut Association of
Wethersfield, Conn.  Led by Rev. Caleb Jewett Tenney of Wethersfield,
the association was one of several Protestant organizations that
established colonies in Henry County (also Andover and Geneseo).  Col.
Sylvester Blish and Elizur Goodrich were sent west in 1836 to purchase
land and later that year Rev. Joseph Goodrich, John F. Willard and Henry
G. Little came to lay out the village of Wethersfield.  Settlers
followed in 1837 and the village grew to over 500 by the early 1850’s
when the builders of the Military Tract Railroad decided that the route
of their line through Henry County would bypass Wethersfield almost two
miles to the north.  The decision was apparently based on the adverse
terrain immediately west of Wethersfield.  Once the northern route was
determined several Wethersfield entrepreneurs purchased land to the
north of Wethersfield, gave right-of-way to the railroad, and when the
location of a depot was determined laid out the beginnings of a city in
1854.

Before the railroad arrived most of the land that would
become Kewanee was a farm owned by brothers Matthew and John Potter. 
They built a house just north of what would be the corner of Main and
Second Streets in 1850. The Potters apparently wanted to be farmers
rather land developers and they traded their farm to several
Wethersfielders for farmland in Wethersfield Township.   (In 1903 when
the current owners decided the Potter house was standing in the way of
progress, it was given to the Daughters of the American Revolution who
moved the building to its current location on Park Avenue where it is
used as the DAR’s chapter house.) 

Two of the buyers of part of
the Potters’ farm, George Morse and Silas Willard, acquired land north
of the railroad line on what would be Main St. and in 1854 built the
“Pioneer Store,” Kewanee’s first store.  Buyers of the rest of the
Potters’ farm included Capt. Sullivan Howard, Henry G. Little, Ralph A.
Tenney, Nelson Lay, and Col. Sylvester Blish (all Wethersfielders except
Lay who moved here from Wisconsin).  Town lots were surveyed early in
1854 and a plat filed with the county on May 1, 1854.

The city’s
founders named their new town Berrien, after the chief engineer for the
railroad.  When he objected and recommended another name, Kewanee became
the name of Wethersfield’s neighbor to the north.  “Kewanee” is
believed to be the word used by Winnebagos for “prairie chicken.” 
Berrien apparently saw many of the birds in the course of his work
through this area.  A post office was established in 1854.  The first
postmaster was Col. Blish, who also had been Wethersfield’s first
postmaster.  The name of Kewanee for what was still an unincorpoated
village was made official by an act of the Illinois state legislature on
Feb. 14, 1855.

Kewanee practically sprang up overnight as many
Wethersfielders literally picked up their homes and businesses and moved
them one to two miles north.  By 1860 there were about 1,500 people in
Kewanee.  Wethersfield’s development, meanwhile, was stunted by the loss
of many of its leading citizens, including founders of the colony. 
Wethersfield would remain a residential area and would eventually annex
itself to Kewanee.  In 1921 overwhelming votes in both Wethersfield and
Kewanee approved the annexation.  (While the cities merged in 1921, the
two school districts remained separate.  There are also two separate
townships–Kewanee and Wethersfield.)

Kewanee grew steadily but
gradually from 1860 to 1890.   Economic activity was led by marketing
and retailing for the farming community, brick-making, extensive
coal-mining and a burgeoning steam boiler industry.  The latter was
pioneered by William Haxtun, who purchased a tiny company in 1875 and by
1890 employed 1000 persons in the Haxtun Steam Heating Co. In 1890 the
population was 4,569.  Then in the 1890’s the city grew considerably
after the Haxtun company split in 1891 into Western Tube Company and
Kewanee Boiler. The 1900 census showed 8,382. The next major growth
period and the last for Kewanee was the decade of World War I when
virtually all Kewanee factories were busy with war work.  The population
climbed dramatically from 9,307 in 1910 to 16,026 in 1920.  Annexation
in 1911 of residential areas east, north, and west contributed to the
growth spurt.

Kewanee’s population apparently peaked at 18,000 in
1921 with the annexation of Wethersfield.  The 1920 census showed
almost 2,000 for Wethersfield.  Added to Kewanee’s 16,000 that gave the
“new” Kewanee 18,000 people.  After a small decline in 1930 to17,093,
Kewanee’s population held steady until 1950 when the census showed
16,821 Kewaneeans.

Following the 1958 removal of most of the
operations at Walworth’s Kewanee Works (Western Tube sold to Walworth in
1917), the population began a decline that in 2000 has yet to be
reversed.  The 1960 and 1970 census reports each showed a loss of about
500.  The 1980 decline was about 1,200 to a population of 14,500.  In
1990 the drop was about 1,500 to a figure of 12,969, while in 2000 the
count held steady at 12,900.  Kewanee Boiler remained in the city during
the decline, but its employment level dropped steadily until the
current owners (Burnham Industries) ceased production of Kewanee boilers
and closed the plant in 2001.

Politically Kewanee has employed
all four types of city government available to a city in Illinois.  In
1867 Kewanee was granted a charter for village government that included a
five-member board of trustees with one of them chosen as village
president.  In 1897 Kewanee received a charter as a city and adopted the
mayor-council form of municipal government with an elected mayor and
8-member city council.  In 1911 during the Progressive Era Kewanee
voters chose to switch to the commission form of government with each of
the five commissioners (including one who was elected mayor)
supervising one or more city departments.  In 1986, after two
unsuccessful referenda, the voters chose the council-manager form of
city government.  It continues today with a council of five members,
including a mayor; they appoint a city manager to supervise the
operations of the city administration. 

While Kewanee as a whole
has declined considerably in population since World War II, the
“Wethersfield” portion of the city has actually grown, both numerically
and commercially.  From the late 40’s to the early 70’s almost all of
the new housing development was south of Division St., on both the
southeast and southwest corners of the city.  After a 20-year
“depression” in home building, new houses are being built in the latter
half of the 90’s, still mostly in that portion of Kewanee that is in
Wethersfield Township. The retail business center of the city has moved
from downtown, where it thrived for a century, to the south side, a
movement that began in the 60’s and was especially boosted in the 1970’s
by converting the Main St.-Tenney St. corridor from two lanes to four
lanes.  The building of Midland Plaza in 1970 and Wal-Mart in 1984 were
major events in the business drift to the south. 

In a sense
Kewanee is returning to its roots.  When Wethersfield, where it all
began, was annexed to Kewanee in 1921, the area south of Division St.
made up 11% of Kewanee (2,000 of total population of 18,000).  However,
in 1990 the area south of Division contained 27% of Kewanee’s population
(3,536 out of 12,969).

The following  four-page history of the
founding of Wethersfield, Illinois in 1836 is from “Portrait and
Biographical Album of Henry County,” Chicago:  Biographical Publishing
co., 1885 and was provided by the Kewanee Illinois Historical Society
.

Please click on the pages to see a larger print version.

Wethersfield in 1885 History_0001.jpg

 

Wethersfield in 1885 History_0002.jpg

Wethersfield in 1885 History_0003.jpg

Wethersfield in 1885 History_0004.jpg
About the Author: Larry Lock

Return to Wethersfield Historical Society Home Page

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>