Keeney Memorial Cultural Center: A Building With Many Uses

Keeney Keeney-thumb-2304x3072-77-thumb-175x233-82.jpgIn celebration of the Keeney Memorial Cultural Center’s twentieth anniversary as a museum and cultural center, this collection blog topic is the building itself. How can a building be an object? It can and it is! The Keeney Memorial Cultural Center is central not only to Wethersfield Historical Society but also to the town, especially its educational history. The Keeney is not only this collections blog topic, it is an important part of Wethersfield’s social history.

In 1893 the town of Wethersfield purchased 2 ½ acres from William G.
Comstock for $4,550. The town had purchased the land for the town’s
public secondary school, Center School. Educational reform was in full
swing during the mid and late 19th century with compulsory attendance
acts, John Dewey’s pragmatic approach to education and the study of
psychology applied to children.
Wethersfield established the
first Connecticut high school in September 1839. Students were expected
to pay partial costs for running the school in return for their
educational instruction.  The school functioned intermittently until
1849, when the cost of running the high school became too high for the
First School Society to manage. The town was now without a high school
until 1869, when Mr. Chauncey Rose offered to donate $6,000 towards the
high school budget if the town would match with $2,000. The town raised
the mill rate and was able with Mr. Rose’s aid to re-establish the high
school in the Old Academy. The high school remained in the Old Academy
until 1894 when Center School opened for public education use.

Keeney CenterSchool-thumb-894x695-79-thumb-225x174-80.jpgCenter
School was completed and opened in 1894. As the school moved out of the
Old Academy, the First School Society turned over their jurisdiction of
education to the town. When the building opened it housed four
classrooms, a principal’s office, library, playroom, restroom, two
recitation rooms and an assembly hall.  Center School was constructed,
landscaped and furnished for $23,000, approximately $543,000 in today’s
dollars. The structure remained unchanged until 1916, when the town
added two additional wings onto the building due to increased enrollment
levels. The first floor of the building contained grades five through
eight, while grades nine through twelve were instructed on the second
floor. In 1924, the school had its highest enrollment with 120 high
school students and twenty-one in the graduating class. The Center
School had run out of room, even with the recent additional of the
wings.
Plans were made to construct the Wethersfield High School and
the Silas Deane Junior High School. Center School continued to function
as a secondary school until 1929 when the other schools were completed
and it was converted into an elementary school. From 1929 to 1967 the
building served as an elementary school for the local children. When
Center School was converted into an elementary school, the name changed
as well. Center School was renamed Governor Thomas Welles School in
1933. Governor Thomas Welles was the fourth governor of Connecticut and
only governor from Wethersfield.

In 1940, in addition to the
elementary school, the Wethersfield Public Library moved their books
from the second floor of the Old Academy to the first floor of Welles
School.  Following only seven years later, Town Hall vacated the Old
Academy’s first floor and moved into the second floor assembly hall of
the Welles building. From 1947 through 1959, the Welles building served
as the public library, town hall and one of the elementary schools.
Town
hall and the library had both grown too large for their current space
and, in 1959, moved to newly constructed buildings on the Silas Deane
Highway. Welles School continued operating as an elementary school until
1967, when Hanmer School was opened. Between 1967 and 1983, it served
as board of education auxiliary offices and the site for alternative
high school classes.

Keeney town crewhanging sign-thumb-225x165-85.jpgWethersfield
Historical Society Director Doug Alves, with the support of the Society
Board, approached the Town Council with an ambitious plan to renovate
and reuse the building. In 1983, the Town Council accepted the plan to
renovate the building as a museum and cultural center for the community
as a 350th anniversary gift to the town. For the next five years the
Society was out fundraising. In 1988, the interior structural
renovations began.
Keeney Robert Allan Keeney - 1944-thumb-225x326-94.jpgThe
Society and community wondered what the museum and cultural center
would be called, until 1989, when Mrs. Emma Keeney came forth to create a
memorial that she and her husband had only dreamed of. The Keeney
Memorial Cultural Center was named in honor of Ensign Robert Allan
Keeney. Keeney was a local resident of Wethersfield, attended Charles
Wright School, grew up on Wolcott Hill Road, sold vegetables with Bill
Heath on Wells Road, loved baseball and even earned himself the nickname
“bean head.” Keeney had completed his first year of college at Wesleyan
University, when he enlisted in the Navy in 1943. He was aboard the USS
Indianapolis in July 1945 when, in the midst of security and secrecy, a
cargo of atom bomb components was loaded aboard. Shortly after midnight
of July 29th 1945, the Indianapolis was torpedoed by a Japanese
submarine.  The second torpedo knocked out all electric power aboard
ship – and any chance for an SOS.  Sea water surged into the gaping hole
and the Indianapolis began to sink.  Officers ordered the men to
abandon ship. Within twelve minutes, the ship sank. Robert Keeney was
one of the town’s last casualties of World War II.

The Keeney
Memorial Cultural Center had begun its work with renovation, earned
itself an honorable name and in January 27, 1990 opened to the public.
The Keeney Center today has three gallery spaces, an education
classroom, rental space, Chamber of Commerce office, hall for cultural
concerts and events. Come in and join us at 200 Main Street if you would
like to see the remarkable building, stop by and admire the
architecture, reminisce of your school days or join us for a cultural
event!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>